7/23/13

BT: Beauty Blender vs Blending Sponge

So tonight's Beautiful Tuesday post will be a comparison/review.

The Beauty blender (actually a dupe) vs a blending sponge (generic form).

Now several months ago I had read about the Beauty Blender. It's a pink (the original one is, it now comes in black too I believe) tear drop shaped sponge that you get damp then use to apply liquid or cream make up products. (Usually foundation and concealer) You put some product either on the back of your hand or on your face and then with a bouncing, stippling motion you pay the product onto your skin with the damp sponge. It leaves a great blended finish on you skin and works well with hiding blemishes.

Now the original Beauty Blender is about 20.00 and will last around three months I think. The website isn't clear on this but that's about how long I used mine before it just got to the point where I felt I needed a new one.

A friend did get me the original. And I loved it. I wish I had pictures for you but alas I do not. Warning, your foundation will stain the sponge material but if the water runs clean after you wash it then its clean. You should wash your Beauty Blender after each application of makeup. Beauty Blender even makes a cleanser for it. You can check it all out at their website beauty blender.net. I used a soft makeup brush shampoo for mine.

Now, when it was time to buy myself a new one I didn't really want to pay the 20.00. There are dupes everywhere for it. Some look the exact same and some have a weirder shape. Sonia Kashuk (a brand at target) has one that's 14.99 I believe and it's the weird shape one. And then target had its own brand ( up and up) that looks just like it for 4.99.

I bought the target brand. It was more budget friendly. Here is what is looks like.




(Please ignore the badly chipped nail polish!)

See! Weird shape! Oh and I had used it a couple of times before the pictures so you can see the stains I mentioned earlier.

I did not like this sponge. One, I don't really like the shape. It felt awkward to me. Second, the material is completely different. It's much denser and heavier. It took more effort to get the blended look I wanted.

The Sonia Kashuk one may be better but as I didn't like the shape to begin with I decided not to try it.

But I wanted another one like the original. One day while I was at T.J. Maxx I saw they had a dupe. It was in a clear box. I have already forgotten the name that was on it. Something generic.
Anyway, it was teal and only 4.99. So I bought it. It looks like this.




I loved this! It's the same shape as the original. I feel like its just as soft and bouncy when I use it. I could not be happier.

One of the things about the Beauty Blender that I find fun (because inside I'm still a little kid) is that when you get it wet, it gets bigger. Almost double in size, not quite. It's like those little dinosaur pills I had when I was a kid. You drop the pill in water and wait and the Dino would pop out and grow larger. Yeah, that's what it remiss me of.

Here are some photos. The top picture will be it dry an the bottom is after I got it wet.








I tried to keep my hand the same distance for those photos. Not quite. But you can still see the difference right?

Well, I hope this post helps someone. Let me know your thoughts if you have tried one or the other or are interested.
Any questions are always welcome!


- Posted using BlogPress from
my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment